Subject: Re: tinkering with wi interfaces (Prism 2.5)
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2004 10:13:08
> I've read over the wi(4), ifconfig(8), ifmedia(4), and wiconfig(8)
> man pages, and I'm trying to find how to hardwire certain
> things in the new world order where most settings are done in
> ifconfig rather than wiconfig.  (To give you a hint on the last
> time I played around seriously with this stuff, it was about
> the time the "wavelan" page on the netbsd website was originally written, and
> *it* references 1.4G).

general good ideas with WiFi links are:

1) if stations aren't moving frequently, so there are same conditions most
of time, turn off speed autonegotiation and set maximum speed that works
reliably.

2) all antennas have to see each other, or "hidden node" problem produces
lots of collision and retransmition

3) ad-hoc mode is generally fastest.

i'm working on my own PtP and PtMP mode program that bypasses part of the
802.11 protocol sending everything as broadcasts (no ACKing this case with
adhoc mode) and doing all air access control and retranmitions by myself.
mostly deciding exactly when each node transmits data, instead of "try and
maybe you are lucky" method in standard WiFi.

it's mostly for long distance outdoor network, but could be usable indoors
too. of course unix only.

this eliminates most common problem - high packet loss where there are
lots of connections and full speed transmisions. this case "try end error"
algorithm of transmission have low chance of sending data without making
collisions.