Subject: Re: tinkering with wi interfaces (Prism 2.5)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/2004 20:20:44
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:54:28PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:50:55PM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, but a lot of this stuff is not only different
> > between netbsd and openbsd, but between older and newer versions of
> > netbsd.  :)
> >
> > (for example, there's no "ibss-master" option in netbsd)
>
> IBSS "masters" were a figment of somebody's imagination at Lucent
> or Intersil. There is no such thing in 802.11.

OK, that's fine then.

> I don't know host mode. Did you mean hostap mode? Bridging does work
> with hostap mode. It cannot work with the other modes.

By "host mode" I guess I meant "as a client of another AP".  And I suspected
that there might be problems (mostly by the fact that it didn't work).

By contrast, it (bridging) *does* seem to work in adhoc mode. (which
is why I'm so keen to get things "working".  (They *are* sort of
working, now... I was just hoping to be able to tweak various things

> If you enable debugging (ifconfig wi0 debug) then you should see
> messages
>
>     wi_write_txrate: tx rate %d -> %d (%d)
>
> where the %d's are filled in to tell which rate the interface is
> changing to.

Ooh, I never thought to check out the 'debug' mode.  Thanks!

> In general, `ifconfig wi0' cannot tell any single sensible media setting
> (for example, DS2 adhoc, DS11 adhoc) because there are many stations,
> each of which might have adapted to a different rate. This is one of the
> reasons that someday I intend to make virtual interfaces (sta0, sta1,
> ...) for all peers/clients.

> I know the problem you are talking about. I think that creating an IBSS
> on channel X when there is already an IBSS with the same SSID on channel
> Y is something that the Lucent & Prism firmwares do not want for us to do.

OK.

The main reason I'm using adhoc mode as opposed to putting one in hostap
mode and making the other a station is because of the bridging issue...
I *could* make one or both sides route, but in this case having
them as bridges just makes certain things much simpler.  (at least
from one perpsective).

Thanks for your reply.

+j
--