Subject: Re: tinkering with wi interfaces (Prism 2.5)
To: None <>
From: Jeff Rizzo <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/2004 20:20:44
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:54:28PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:50:55PM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, but a lot of this stuff is not only different
> > between netbsd and openbsd, but between older and newer versions of
> > netbsd.  :)
> >
> > (for example, there's no "ibss-master" option in netbsd)
> IBSS "masters" were a figment of somebody's imagination at Lucent
> or Intersil. There is no such thing in 802.11.

OK, that's fine then.

> I don't know host mode. Did you mean hostap mode? Bridging does work
> with hostap mode. It cannot work with the other modes.

By "host mode" I guess I meant "as a client of another AP".  And I suspected
that there might be problems (mostly by the fact that it didn't work).

By contrast, it (bridging) *does* seem to work in adhoc mode. (which
is why I'm so keen to get things "working".  (They *are* sort of
working, now... I was just hoping to be able to tweak various things

> If you enable debugging (ifconfig wi0 debug) then you should see
> messages
>     wi_write_txrate: tx rate %d -> %d (%d)
> where the %d's are filled in to tell which rate the interface is
> changing to.

Ooh, I never thought to check out the 'debug' mode.  Thanks!

> In general, `ifconfig wi0' cannot tell any single sensible media setting
> (for example, DS2 adhoc, DS11 adhoc) because there are many stations,
> each of which might have adapted to a different rate. This is one of the
> reasons that someday I intend to make virtual interfaces (sta0, sta1,
> ...) for all peers/clients.
> I know the problem you are talking about. I think that creating an IBSS
> on channel X when there is already an IBSS with the same SSID on channel
> Y is something that the Lucent & Prism firmwares do not want for us to do.

The main reason I'm using adhoc mode as opposed to putting one in hostap
mode and making the other a station is because of the bridging issue...
I *could* make one or both sides route, but in this case having
them as bridges just makes certain things much simpler.  (at least
from one perpsective).

Thanks for your reply.

Jeff Rizzo