Subject: Re: problems with wi
To: John Gordon <mailing.lists@dial.pipex.com>
From: Emre Yildirim <ey@ieee.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2004 16:22:59
Once upon a time John Gordon proclaimed:
> I would start by disabling the WEP in your access point and keeping to
> simple, unencrypted stuff for the first tests - get that working when
> everything else is working.
>
> After that, you might want to check whether you set up any kind of MAC
> address based filters in the AP (I wasted 10 minutes looking for a
> problem when I swapped a wireless card once just because I use the MAC
> address filters in my AP & hadn't added the other one to the list).

The laptop that is currently running NetBSD used to have Windows XP on it.  Using
the same 802.11b card, same WAP configuration, same WEP key, everything worked fine
when Windows was on it.  So even if MAC based filtering was enabled, it wouldn't be
much of a problem since the same NIC is used here.  I already know that the 802.11b
card works fine without WEP, but now I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I
really want to keep using WEP for security purposes though.

For some strange reason wiconfig doesn't offer many options.  Is there a way to
change the paramenters shown in wiconfig wi0?  I.e. Authentication type for example.
 I know that there is a way to change some stuff using ifconfig, but there are some
parameters not mentioned in the man pages.