Subject: Re: nfs rpc errors on 1.6ZG
To: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2004 10:23:45
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, John Hayward wrote:

> Dear NetBSDers,
>    I've upgraded a nfs server to 1.6ZG.  I notice that bluej java ide
> running on clients was exibiting unexpected behavior relative to files.
> I found that if I was working on a local file system or a nfs on a 1.5.3
> machine things worked fine - it was just when files were located on the
> 1.6ZG server that there were problems.
>    In examining the nfstat on the server I noticed a number of RPC errors
> and the number increased when doing bluej ide activity.
>    Has anyone observed similar behavior or know a work around (ie what
> daily from releng.netbsd.org should work).

	If its a linux binary did you mount the NFS filesystem with -X?
	From the end of compat_linux(8):

     Linux executables cannot handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits.
     Should such an offset occur, you will see the message ``linux_getdents:
     dir offset too large for emulated program''.  Currently, this can only
     happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return off-
     sets with information in the upper 32 bits.  These errors should rarely
     happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset trans-
     lation enabled.  See the -X option to mount_nfs(8).  The -2 option to
     mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --