Subject: Re: ntp problems?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2004 17:50:41
In message <Pine.NEB.4.58.0401151538420.6633@rapture.immanent.net>, Frederick B
ruckman writes:
>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Steve Bellovin wrote:
>
>> I upgraded to yesterday's -current; now, ntpd isn't synchronizing:
>>
>> ntpq -c peer
>>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitt
>er
>==
>> xraptor.research 135.37.9.18      2 u   58   64  377   17.996  -14.613  25.4
>66
>> xhelm3017.resear 135.207.32.28    3 u    1   64  377    1.107  818.970  18.0
>44
>>
>> The 'x' means "falseticker" -- befor I restarted ntpd, I was 3-4 seconds off
>,
>> with both showing the 'x'.
>>
>> Here are the relevant lines from ntpd.conf:
>>
>> # egrep -v '^#' /etc/ntp.conf
>>

>> pidfile         /var/run/ntpd.pid
>>

>> driftfile       /var/db/ntp.drift
>>

>> logconfig       -syncstatus
>>

>> broadcastclient
>> server          raptor.research.att.com
>> server          135.207.59.17
>
>These last two, "broadcastclient", and "server ..." are not
>intended to be used together.
> Is there even a broadcasting server
>on your network?

Yes, of course, or I wouldn't have configured that.  (For details on the
configuration, see http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/moat.ps --
there's a local ntpd broadcaster that I can listen to.)

<Also, two servers is not a good number to have, as
>there's no way for the daemon to know which one is correct when they
>disagree. Having only one might work better, or if your firewall
>permits it, you could add one or two instances of us.pool.ntp.org.

I've been running that way for ~3 years, of course, and never had any
problems before -- it's new to 1.6ZH.

Right now, I've switched back to one server, which seems to be working.
I can't get at any of the outside ones -- I'll have to see if there are
other internal servers I can talk to.