Subject: Re: ath driver - TX power settings
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2004 09:03:29
On Wednesday 14 January 2004 09:29 am, David Young wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:50:26AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > i found such fragments:
> >
> > first sets 0x20 as power output level second sets 60 (=0x3C).
>
> Mmmm, magic numbers.

Units are .5dbm but at the moment you cannot adjust the txpower per frame
(i.e. these nubmers are ignored).  Coming soon.

> > is there any description for how this numbers translates to dBm?
>
> I am pretty sure that the resolution is .5dB. I don't know if the
> reference is 1mW or not.
>
> > is there any interface already done in NetBSD 802.11 routines to set
> > power output through ifconfig/wiconfig or should i add something.
>
> I designed an API for this a long time ago. See the description on
> tech-net.
>
> > what are antenna and flags numbers?
>
> Antenna: which antenna to transmit on. Flags: who knows?

The antenna number depends on the h/w config.  The 5211+5212 supoprt
mutli-sector antennae (i.e. numbers >1 are possible).

> > finally - is there athhal-elf.o somewhere documented?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> For some of these questions, Sam Leffler probably has answers.

At the moment I am the documentation.  Please don't abuse it :)  Seriously,
you can get a lot of info by just looking at ah.h and the driver..  If things
aren't obvious you can ask me for help.  Documentation would require massive
work and I don't have the time.

	Sam