Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2004 17:02:05
Arto Huusko wrote:
> I dunno. I don't mind the daemon, but the Iwo Jima is really
> too cluttered and needs to go, I guess. At least if a "professional"
> all around logo is needed. I'm just looking at www.netbsd.org, and
> the Iwo Jima logo looks actually pretty good there. But on paper,
> CD covers... maybe not.

Yeah, exactly. We need something which could be slapped
to a book or on CD and seeing this, everyone would recognize
it as clearly NetBSD stuff - even it the image would be small.

The flag-rising crew image is ~okay for front web page, but
unfortunately mostly useless for anything else. The beastie
is cute logo, but we need a symbol which would be clearly associated
with NetBSD and NetBSD only.

I like the beastie as such, would be nice to have some
variant of it. The Wasabi samurai-type beastie is nice, for
example. Perhaps it would be possible to come up with some
animal imaged in style of the beastie? Or perhaps a dragon
or unicorn or phoenix^Wfirebird or some other mythic animal?
IMHO we definitely want
something what known to run fast :) Or something entirely abstract.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-