Subject: Re: ffs compatibility added, fsck may complain
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2004 10:01:51
In message <20040114140833.GG29567@quartz.newn.cam.ac.uk>, Patrick Welche write
s:
>On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:27:54AM -0500, Francois Briere wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:53:42PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
>>
>> > 	i see the following on dmesg (for / and /usr partition),
>> > 	however, i do not see "VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK ..." message on
>> > 	fsck_ffs -n -f.  fsck_ffs -b 32 -c 4 had no effect.
>> > 	how can i suppress the message?  do i have to start over from scratch
>> > 	(i.e. newfs)?
>>
>> I had the same problem but after having carried out an update of the system
>> i started again fsck_ffs to update the super block  and all is well.
>>
>> probably, rebuilding fsck and fsck_ffs can solve the problem.
>
>I saw the same as Itojun, then
>cd /usr/src/sbin/fsck
>make dependall
>cd ../fsck_ffs
>make dependall

I had no problems yesterday.  I had been running a late November
kernel; last night, I rebuilt everything from yesterday morning (UTC-5)
and rebooted.  I got the warning message about the superblock, so I ran the
newly-compiled version of fsck_ffs on / and /usr before installing the
new userland.  Everything just worked.