Subject: Re: No buffer memory
To: Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc@cleartech.com>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2004 14:23:58
In Message <20040113190639.AC0695A12@riesling.cleartech.com> ,
   Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc@cleartech.com> wrote:

=>With the prior kernel, 'sysctl vm.nkmempages' was showing
=>24547.  I added "options NKMEMPAGES_MIN=24675" to my
=>kernel conf and built and booted the new kernel.  At first my umass
=>devices attached nicely, but eventually the problem recurred.
=>
=>At that point, I did 'sysctl vm.nkmempages' with the new kernel and
=>again got 24547.  Looking at kmeminit_nkmempages() in
=>src/sys/kern/kern_malloc.c, and the definitions of
=>NKMEMPAGES_MIN_DEFAULT and NKMEMPAGES_MAX_DEFAULT in
=>src/sys/arch/i386/include/param.h, I believe nkmempages should indeed
=>be set to 24675, the value in the new kernel option.
=>
=>What am I overlooking?

   Try "make clean" in the kernel build directory and building it
again.  It looks like sys/conf/files has flags for NKMEMPAGES,
KMEMPAGES_MIN, and NKMEMPAGES_MAX, but not NKMEMPAGES_MIN, which
would prevent the build from catching the config change. (I assume
this is a typo/bug. Unless someone wants to make a quick change,
I'll send-pr it.)

   Still, it sounds like you are running into a buffer leak, so
this might only buy you some time.

					Gary Duzan