Subject: Re: No buffer memory
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+current-users@bjan.net>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2004 06:03:22
In Message <20040113074653.GA419@bjan.net> ,
   "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <bjan+current-users@bjan.net> wrote:

=>Hey everyone,
=>
=>I just plugged in my USB drive and got this:
=>
=>umass1 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0
=>umass1: Intelligent Stick Intelligent Stick, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 6
=>umass1: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
=>umass1: no buffer memory
=>
=>There appears to be another PR and associated mailing list post on this
=>subject. The only suggestion was to plug the drive in at boot, which
=>worked. How easy/hard is this to fix? Every other OS seems to be able to
=>get this right, and I've plugged this little thing into _alot_ of OS's.

   I got around this by adding "options NKMEMPAGES_MIN=x" to my
kernel, where "x" is the value of "sysctl vm.nkmempages" plus a
bit (I added 100.)

   BTW, it would be nicer if there were a way to specify "add x
pages to the guess", or "use y% of memory as the guess" in the
kernel so that things don't break when the amount of RAM changes.
Even better would be for a driver to register that it needs an
extra "n" pages and add that to the guess so that it is handled
automatically, presumably somewhere in config, when umass is
compiled in.

					Gary Duzan