Subject: Re: Copying to/from raw devices?
To: walt <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/2004 22:33:20
Le Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:23:13 -0800
walt a ecrit :
> To make boot floppies for linux/*BSD I have always just copied the
> floppy image to the raw floppy device like this:
> # cp boot1.fs /dev/rfd0c (or the equivalent device on other systems)
> and I have never had any problems, but I tried making NetBSD floppies
> on my -current NetBSD machine today and the disks would not boot.
> I used the same floppy images to make the disks in linux and the
> resulting NetBSD floppies boot perfectly.
> So, is there a reason my 'usual' raw-copy method doesn't work in
> NetBSD -current, or is this a bug?  (I don't have a -stable NetBSD
> machine to try this on, so I can't compare...)

Why the 'c' device, specifically?  Is the floppy *really* a 1.2MB 5,25
inches one? (Please read fdc(4).)

Quentin Garnier - -
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.