Subject: Re: DVD-RAM/RW/+RW in NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040106T160516@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2004 16:34:38
wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net (Wojciech Puchar) writes:
> so no easy way to just have /dev/cd.. writable.

If you have a desire to do that you really want the "+" media.  It is
block-rewritable.

> without it - i will buy DVD-RW as it has cheapest media and best read
> support. and use cdbackup/cdrestore tools as i need backup device other
> than tape

I have a device that writes both "+" and "-" media (Plextor PX708A) so
I can feed it either media.  Here in the US the + and - media is
roughly the same price if you don't buy the floor sweepings.

    Ritek 1x    -R  $1.11  (ea. in 25pack)
    Ritek 2.4x  +R  $1.15  (ea. in 25pack)

(Prices from meritline.  Similar prices from all the other vendors.)

The + has the advantage of having faster media available with 8x
record speed with +r and 4x with +rw.  The +R and +RW can also be
appended which in theory makes it possible to do incrementals,
although the media is cheap enough that I'm just using it as
write-once level 0 backup media.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.