Subject: Re: current got 'swappier'/slower.
To: None <ks@ub.uni-mainz.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2004 13:03:59
Kurt Schreiner wrote:
> I think there's a lot of mem used up somewhere but never freed?

Yes - the memory is used for vnode cache. kern.maxvnodes sets
the size of this cache. The memory used for vnode cache is never
freed, the vnodes are repeatedly reused as needed.

I'm not sure how big is vnode nowadays, but I'd expect some
at least 100 bytes. This means that eventually at least 100MB
would be used for vnodes with kern.maxvnodes=1M setting.

"Don't do that".

Perhaps we could change the code to do some sanity checks
for value of kern.maxvnodes.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-