Subject: Re: current got 'swappier'/slower.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2004 11:06:44
BTW, when you see the swap activity, is the amount of wired
memory high? 'High' is more than 1-2MB.

Jaromir

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:27:54AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
> >
> > I know this kind of non-specific whinge is (worse than) useless, but the new
> > mem alloc/kernel thing seems to suck. laptop user, current as of 2-3 days
> > ago. 256Mb memory.
>
> I don't know which change you think you're referring to, but I suspect that
> you mean PK's recent changes to the buffer cache code.
>
> I just looked at that code again and I'm a bit curious about some aspects
> of it -- such as the use of, essentially, different LRUs for buffers
> of different sizes, which seems a bit bogus -- but I can't see how it
> could possibly cause additional demand for *pageable* memory, which is
> what would be necessary to cause an increase in swap utilization.
>
> I think some other recent change must be causing your problem.
>
> Thor

-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-