Subject: Re: current got 'swappier'/slower.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2004 22:23:39
Juan RP wrote:

> George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> wrote:
>> Can somebody explain what the *intent* of the changes was? Because its
>> not been
>> a net overall improvement for interactive X11 sole desktop usage.
>>
>> I'd be inclined to say I'm the fourth or fifth 'me too' response about
>> issues with this change.
>
> Agreed, with the new buffer cache implementation, my system is getting
> swap all the time... and it seems is slower than before...

One of my boxes, a 450MHz pentium, has been running NetBSD-current/KDE
for quite a while with just 128M ram. The update pushed it over
the edge by about 40M into swap AND it made almost every aspect of
initial KDE/gtk application *loading* more than 5x slower, even
after bumping kern.maxvnodes from 16k to 64k and adding another
128M ram (it mounts most everything but the core os). Things like
xterm still load almost immediately, but things that do a file
config lookup take very much longer. On my server, I bumped
kern.maxvnodes from 32k to 128k and it is experiencing about the
same type of slowdown for app loading though the maxvnodes change
did improve things quite a bit.