Subject: Re: Upgrading OS for an environment using Raid
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2004 21:26:30
On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 06:46:35PM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:

> You mean like:
>
> #define RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS 64L    /* # of sectors at start of disk to
>                                        exclude from RAID address space */
>
> in /usr/include/dev/raidframe/raidframevar.h ?  :)  (Sorry.. it's not
> been as advertised as well as it might have been...)

So, if I use RAIDframe over volumes that themselves have a "stripe size",
such as hardware RAID units, all my values in the disklabel need to be
shifted back down by 64 in order to fall on nice even stripe boundaries?

Given that 64K is a pretty common stripe size, but 64 _sectors_ is 32K,
doesn't this basically give worst-case misalignment for many underlying
devices?