Subject: Re: SPAM Alert: Email Address Harvesting
To: None <>
From: Christian Biere <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2004 00:19:20

Christoph Egger wrote:
> - They are very probably subscribed to multiple discussion lists.
> - It is very likely that they (nearly) NEVER post to any ML's they're
> subscribed to.
> - And they are very likely NOT subscribed to cvs lists.

I don't run any mailing lists but IMHO the above applies to the majority
of any users of any list. You subscribe because you're looking for
valuable information or because you have a question and then stay
subscribed until the volume of mails you're not interested in bothers
you. Also, many mail accounts are probably abandoned and if the provider
deletes the mailbox every month, you'll never even notice them. Don't
forget that several lists are only used for announcements or have such
a read-only character (but I guess that's why you mention CVS lists in your

At least, I was *once* surprised to see a list with about 100
members but only a couple of active participants. I'm sure one of the admins
here has the stats to clear this up. I'd be surprised if lurkers are not the

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)