Subject: Re: SPAM Alert: Email Address Harvesting
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2004 21:58:07
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Nothing but directly attacking the problem of spam itself will help in
> the long run.

According to my logs, it isn't actual spam that is the problem,
but Windows-based viruses that harvest email addresses from places
such as this and just email (often unreadable) garbage. Though
almost none of it gets through to mail accounts, it still takes up
as much as 75% of my (low) bandwidth, which is more than just an
irritation.

I'm astonished that there hasn't been a class-action negligence
lawsuit against Microsoft, given how many years the community has
railed about the issue to MS and how easy it would have been to
cut out 95% of it had they acted to prevent it many years ago.

So even attacking the 'problem of spam' will likely not address
this issue.