Subject: Re: SPAM Alert: Email Address Harvesting
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2004 18:32:28
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:46:59PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> Is there a way to require an email/password to access the archives?
>
> It'd be an extra step, but it'd keep crawlers from going down the tree.

Other websites such as geocrawler.com archive the lists by subscribing a
user.

While they might cooperate if we asked them to obfuscate addresses, the
only way to prevent them from making addresses available on the web
would be to do header rewriting, as proposed.

I'm against the header rewriting. I don't see why "NetBSD mailing lists
are address collected and users spammed to" should cause us to break a
bunch of existing functionality (private discussions, bounce detection,
etc), unless other projects seem to be doing similar things with their
lists.

A compromise I can see would be a header token indicating that the
sender would like such rewriting performed, so that individuals could
choose to give up the features without it being mandated for every list
user.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me