Subject: Re: any interest in fully supporting MKYP=no for releases?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2004 15:58:50
[ On Sunday, January 4, 2004 at 01:24:53 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: any interest in fully supporting MKYP=no for releases?
>
> I've added support in NetBSD-current for building releases or sets
> when various MKxxx variables have been changed from their defaults.

Thanks, but sadly you've left the whole "sets" hack effectively intact
and as a result you haven't really solved the bigger problem here.

If you were going to overhaul things why didn't you make use of my and
other's suggestion to use the METALOG instead?

The binary packages (sets tars, or eventually syspkgs) should be built
out of what the Makefiles build, not out of some always secondary lists
that have to try to replicate and track what's already encoded in rules
in the Makefiles.  This would work transparently for both MD products as
well as for the MK* build options, and it would eliminate once and for
all and forever the singular most frequently encountered problem
-current users have with building releases.

The issue with MK* options affecting what gets built and installed is
only a symptom of the overall "sets" hack.  What you've done for now
cannot eliminate that problem.

In fact what you've done has likely only made the problem worse since
what you've done adds yet more variables which can adversely affect the
clean production of a release.

The only clean solution that can eliminate all the maintenance overhead
once and for all is to write the set/syspkg identifiers into the METALOG
at install time and to create the release archives directly from the
METALOG.  Almost all the code is in place to do this already.  All
that's needed is migration of the set/syspkg identifiers from the old
sets/lists/* files into the Makefiles and the addition of the mk hooks
ot pass it to 'install -T'.  Pax could even be modified to directly
accept a list of tags to match when it's working on a list in '-M'
format.

--
						Greg A. Woods