Subject: Re: SPAM Alert: Email Address Harvesting
To: Conrad T. Pino <NetBSD-Current@Pino.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2004 15:53:38
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:11:54AM -0800, Conrad T. Pino wrote:
> [...]
> In general I propose the NetBSD list server rewrite all headers to remove
> the sender's email address and specifically as follows:
>
> 1. Replace "Return-Path" value with "<current-users@NetBSD.org>"
>
> 2. Remove "Reply-To" header.
>
> 3. Rewrite "From" header value as follows:
>
>       "Conrad T. Pino" <Conrad@Pino.com> => "Conrad T. Pino" <current-users@NetBSD.org>
>
>       Conrad Pino <Conrad@Pino.com> => Conrad Pino <current-users@NetBSD.org>
>
>       Conrad@Pino.com (Conrad T. Pino) => current-users@NetBSD.org (Conrad T. Pino)
>
> 4. Replace "Message-ID" header value with new value ending with "@NetBSD.org".
> Impact assessment:
>
> A. Replying directly to sender is impossible unless sender discloses their
>    email address in the message body i.e. no *private* conversations.
>
> B. All replies are ALWAYS through the list i.e. no *private* conversations.
>
> C. Replies from WWW archives are ALWAYS through the list i.e. ditto.
>
> D. Replies from UseNet are ALWAYS through the list i.e. ditto.
>
> E. Policing SPAM sent TO the list will be harder unless the list server
>    leaves behind an audit trail that identifies the sender from Message-ID.

Some peoples post to the lists without being subscribed, and expect a private
reply (or at last to get a private copy). This is especially true for
netbsd-help, but I've seen it in others lists as well.
Despite being subscribed to the lists, I like getting a private copy of
messages for threads I've involved into, because I can handle it faster
(I read the folders for the NetBSD lists only about once a day), and I may not
be alone in this case.

I handle about 200 messages a day. It's clear that if I have to do something
else than hit 'r' to reply to a message I won't do it.

For the netbsd-bugs mailing list, you clearly can't do it because gnats needs
to have the sender's address for its operations.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>