Subject: Re: SPAM Alert: Email Address Harvesting
To: Conrad T. Pino <>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/2004 19:17:09
On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:28:52AM -0800, Conrad T. Pino wrote:
> When I subscribed to the "current-user" mailing list I
> created a new email address ""
> for that purpose.  I subscribed on 27-Dec-2003 and I
> received SPAM addressed to the new email address just
> now (2-Jan-2004).

Welcome to the club!

> I would like to hear opinions on the benefits and effort
> involved to prevent NetBSD mailing lists from leaking the
> sender's email address.  Any takers?

A few months ago, I wrote a long, eloquent missive on on precisely this
subject. Nobody gave a shit.

One reply was not worth reading, the other defended the status quo, saying
that unscrambling hidden email addresses made replying to posts
prohibitively difficult.  Without disrespect to that poster, who I get
along great with, I think that is the most pathetic argument I have ever
heard in my life.

So, in conclusion, I agree entirely with you, but everyone else enjoys
bieng spammed. I think it's a streak of masochism brought forth by the
daemons in us :-). Your best hope is to use extra addresses as you
yourself are now doing.

Bruce J.A. Nourish <>