Subject: Re: Using partitions and better package selection/installation
To: Srinivasa Kanduru <ksraghavan@yahoo.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/2003 14:59:44
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:28:14PM -0800, Srinivasa Kanduru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed netbsd-current on my i386 system and it is working fine. I am
> looking for certain features which I couldn't figure out how to use it in
> netbsd.
>
> I have three primary partitions on my intel machine and created a number of
> logical extended partitions for all data filesystems.
>

> My questions:
> a) how to mount partitions of various filesystems ?
>    [ as you can see below the naming convention in netbsd seems to be different
> from FreeBSD]

The disklabel output you posted let me believe it's not the one from
NetBSD, as the NetBSD root partition should be a (as shown in your
mount command output).
mrlabel(8) can help you adding the partitions to the NetBSD disklabel, and
mount them.

> b) is there a tool to assist in package selection and installation like
> apt-get/apt-cache search as in Debian linux (or portupgrade as in FreeBSD) ?

I think such a tool has just been added to the package system. I don't
remember his name.

> c) FreeBSD 5.1 seems to have added ACLs feature to ufs filesystems (used by
> default). Can it be mounted as read-only filesystem on NetBSD ?

Yes, this should work.

> Sysinst recognizes all the filesystems, but when I boot the regular kernel I
> couldn't see a way of mounting those partitions.

This is the default disklabel build by the kernel. I'm not sure sysinst has
keept all the partitions, and if it did, is has probably reordered them
(to have 'a' as the root filesystem, 'b' as swap).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>