Subject: Re: more st problems
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2003 14:01:41
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> after trying to do dump with 16K blocks i've got that at end of tape:
> st0(esiop0:0:6:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x01 00 00 00 00 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
>                 EOM Detected
>      ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x44 ASCQ 0xaf
>

> while mt eew was executed before dump

Did you do a "mt eew" or "mt eew 1"?

> dump itself told "end of media detected" and "closing /dev/rst0" and
> waited forever.
> after kill -9 i still can't access /dev/rst0

The driver is still closing, and until that is done, you will not be able
to access the tape. kill -9 will not move the driver ahead. I'm even
surprised that dump really exited. You normally cannot get a process to
disappear while it's in a system call, or in a driver. Are you sure you
don't have any dump processes running? (dump forks off a bunch of
processes). Also check for zombies.

As for how to get the tape closed, I have no idea, unfortunately.

	Johnny