Subject: Re: Runtime loading of libpthread
To: None <cez@necrofish.org.uk>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2003 17:21:03
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 10:59:43PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 07:38:44PM +0000, Ceri Storey wrote:
> > I don't suppose there's been any advancement on this subject, that is,
> > that runtime loading of libpthread into a non-threaded application
>
> I don't think there are any plans to move into that direction at all.
> There is ~zero demand for it.

The fundamental rule is "if you're going to use threads, link with
libpthread at build time".  This implies that, for instance, interpreters
that may load extension modules that use threads must be linked with
libpthread even if the core of the interpreter doesn't use threads itself.

Pretty harmless, really -- and only the programs that _need_ it take the
threading performance/complexity hit.

Thor