Subject: Re: Runtime loading of libpthread
To: Ceri Storey <cez@necrofish.org.uk>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2003 22:59:43
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 07:38:44PM +0000, Ceri Storey wrote:
> I don't suppose there's been any advancement on this subject, that is,
> that runtime loading of libpthread into a non-threaded application

I don't think there are any plans to move into that direction at all.
There is ~zero demand for it.

> Or is it just technically infeasible?

Basically: yes, if you support the notion of having a non-threaded libc at
all/by default.

Consider all the state kept in libc, which is different in a threaded from
a non-threaded world. At pthread load time, you would have to convert the
state for all cases correctly, completely, and without deadlocks.

The only way to do this without brain damage is to have libc always use
the threaded functions thus causing a major performance penalty for non
threaded applications.

Martin