Subject: Re: install fails
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/2003 10:38:47
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Matthias Teege wrote:
> I try to update a NetBSD maschine to current. I using the following
> prozedur:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # ./build.sh tools kernel=GENERIC
> # cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/obj/GENERIC
> # make install
> # reboot

Up to this point, you were running the old kernel.  After this point,
you will be running the new kernel.

> # mkdir /usr/i386build/
> # cd /usr/src
> # ./build.sh -U -D /usr/i386build distribution
> # ./build.sh -U -D /usr/i386build install=/

If you don't tell build.sh what TOOLDIR to use, it will guess something
based on the output from uname.  Since the kernel has changed, the uname
output might also change, in which case the TOOLDIR will change.  I
suspect that build.sh could do the wrong thing if you re-run build.sh
with the same DESTDIR and OBJDIR, but a different TOOLDIR.

> The install process give me:
  [...]
> /usr/src/distrib/sets/maketars: /usr/src/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6ZG-i386/bin/nbmktemp: not found

Is tooldir.NetBSD-1.6ZG-i386 the old or the new TOOLDIR?  Either way, you
might have found a bug in build.sh.

--apb (Alan Barrett)