Subject: How do I create a FAT32 disk for use on WinXP?
To: NetBSD - current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2003 09:17:06
I have an 80GB USB hard drive that I am using to backup files on various machines (NetBSD and WindowsXP). Because of this I need to format it as a FAT32 system. I am having some problems getting WindowsXP to recognize the drive formatted on the NEtBSD system. I cannot format the drive as FAT32, because Microsoft has decided that NTFS is the only way to go for drives larger than 40GB. So from WindowsXP my only formatting option is NTFS, and I have heard all kinds of bad things happen if a unix writes to an NTFS partition.

I can format the disk as FAT32 in NetBSD, but it will show up as "Unallocated" in the WindowsXP Computer Management tool. I assume that this is because the MBR is not correctly written. I have tried various incantations of fdisk, disklabel, and newfs_msdos to no avail.

What is the correct procedure for adding a disk to NetBSD that will be useable under WindowsXP? I have been cobbling together information from various sources, but I guess I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance

--
Brian