Subject: Re: OpenOffice 1.1
To: Florence HENRY <Florence.Henry@obspm.fr>
From: Michael Rauch <mrauch@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/2003 10:43:38
Hi,

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:25:49PM +0100, Florence HENRY wrote:
> My problem occurs when I start a application (soffice for example), it
> says /usr/local/OpenOffice/program/crash_report.bin: error while loading
> shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory

at that point the real problem has already happened: For some reason
openoffice crashed (segfault or similar). You should have seen a pop-up
telling you that it crashed.
The crash_report.bin is just a little helper program which allows you to
send a stacktrace back to the maintainers. As it doesn't crash for others,
this program is never invoked for them.
After code inspection there are two versions of crash_report*.bin: First it
tries the one with libgtk linked dynamically, and if this one fails, there
is another version which has linked libgtk statically, and that one should
succeed.

As a first step I'd suspect some X related problem. A simple test is just
typing xterm in the shell where you start soffice, and looking if a new
xterm really opens.
Does soffice print out anything else on the shell?

Michael