Subject: Re: Where do pkgsrc and xsrc go?
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/2003 23:22:26
    Date:        Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:47:37 -0600
    From:        Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>

  | On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:33:40AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
  | > /usr/src/x11 seems to think I should be using /usr/xsrc.  I can change
  | > X11SRCDIR, but is there any reason for which source shouldn't be in /usr/src
  | > to begin with?
  |
  | uh, so I don't have to get x11 and pkgsrc when I just want to checkout src?

I read the question as relating to where the checked out sources should be
put, rather than where in the CVS repository they're stored (until
comparatively recently, CVS had the sources broken up into even smaller
sets, instead of just one big src with (nearly) everything - but the
checked out versions still wanted to be all under /usr/src)

If my interpretation of the question is correct - then no, there's no reason
at all that makes sense.  I use /usr/src/pkgsrc and /usr/src/xsrc all the time
on all of my systems, and I have no problems at all - though I do have
USETOOLS=no in /etc/mk.conf (it gets ignored by my usage of build.sh)
because of the brain damage that assumes that anything under /usr/src simply
MUST be wanting to use the tools to compile (which isn't generally true for
the normal stuff in /usr/src, let alone other things that get added).

kre