Subject: Re: bios boot 3.1 failure
To: Nino Dehne <TeCeEm@gmx.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2003 22:00:40
On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 04:17:45AM +0100, Nino Dehne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to describe the problem, here is what I did from the start:
> When I boot that disk on an Intel D865PERLK board it works just fine.

So you disn't miss out any stages :-)

> However, the disk is destined for another system using an AOpen AX37
> Plus board. After receiving the following on the serial console there
> the loader just hangs:
>
>  >> NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 3.1
>  >> (root@[...], Sat Dec  6 04:13:08 CET 2003)
>  >> Memory: 640/261120 k
>
> So I went plugging in a vga card and retried. Symptom now being the
> video card producing out-of-range frequencies for the monitor (distorted
> video, sometimes the monitor tries switching modes like mad). I tried
> reinstalling the loader on the same system it should boot to no avail.

Sounds like it is jumping to a random address somewhere.

If you are getting as far as those messages things aren't completely
broken, and 'normal' debugging should show the point of failure.

I'm actually syrprised it fails between those messages and the:
    Press return to boot now, any other key for boot benu
    booting hd0a:netbsd - starting in 10
message.

	David

--