Subject: Re: SATA RAID controller recommendations
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2003 12:15:17 (Chris Tribo) writes:
> 	I recommend not getting any promise product. We made the mistake
> of getting a ST6000 from them. Until the last firmware update, the card
> didn't notice bad blocks or write failures from the disks, and just
> happily kept writing. So you end up with the array going on and offline
> randomly,and/or the card locking up randomly and/or data
> corruption.

That's my experience with the Promise controller on my Asus A7V.  That
controller is an unreliable piece of crap with the time between
errors/lockups/freezes measurable in single-digit hours.  Luckily my
board has connections for he slower Via (southbridge?)  controller,
which does work correctly.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.