Subject: Re: SATA RAID controller recommendations
To: Dan Melomedman <dan@devonit.com>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2003 14:45:20
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Dan Melomedman wrote:

> Promise FastTrak S150 TX2+, TX4
> LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA 150-2 Serial ATA Raid
> Highpoint RocketRAID 1520 or 1540 or 1640
> Adaptec Serial ATA Raid 1210SA (I've read somewhere that Adaptec's card
> suffer from poor performance, is this still true for this model?)
> Acard cards?

	I recommend not getting any promise product. We made the mistake
of getting a ST6000 from them. Until the last firmware update, the card
didn't notice bad blocks or write failures from the disks, and just
happily kept writing. So you end up with the array going on and offline
randomly,and/or the card locking up randomly and/or data corruption. It
still doesn't monitor SMART data either so you end up connecting the
drives to the motherboard controller to run MaxBlast to check up on them.
Their firmware and driver support is less than stellar. RAID-5
performance was less than stellar.

	Most of what I've heard recommends 3ware. All their cards are
64 bit so you need to make sure there is clearance on your board for the
edge to hang off if you don't have a 64 bit slot. Andrew Doran reports
they are supported
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2000/10/20/0000.html

	i386/23321 reports problems with a 440BX board. Didn't look much
further.

--

The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.