Subject: Re: Intel SATA RAID
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/2003 14:19:29

On Dec 6, 2003, at 2:14 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:16:47AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2003, at 1:36 AM, Simas Mockevicius wrote:
>>> there is a patch to make work 82801ER SATA/RAID controler.
>> What makes you think that this chip is actually a RAID controller?
>> From the ICH5/ICH5R datasheet: "Raid level 0 support (ICH5R only)"
>> From the datasheet one would assume the ICH5R has some hardware
>> feature
> to speed up Raid0, but I didn't find what exactly. I didn't look depth
> in details ...

What kind of hardware feature would exist for accelerating RAID-0?
They don't have an I/O processor down on the board, do they?  (I would
be surprised; those are generally for accelerating RAID-5).

I suspect what it really means is "BIOSes for these chipsets have some
RAID-0 software in them".

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)