Subject: Re: failure to read SMART data? (sparc64/cmdide)
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2003 12:47:04 (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
> Hmm, I didn't even realize we had SMART support.  Is there any
> disadvantage to having it enabled?  Should I just put an enable command
> into rc.local?

Could your bios be turning it off?  I recall seeing it in the Asus
A7V's bios the last time I ventured down.  I wasn't sure if I wanted
the bios to grab control from NetBSD if some Smart warning popped up
so I turned it off.  I don't know if it is a coincidence, but shortly
thereafter I noticed that the drives then started booting with "smart

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.