Subject: Request for current VAX snapshot [Was Re: current on vax, problems]
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2003 17:17:55
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, emanuel stiebler wrote:

> Now I got that far ...

[things about his build crashing]

The TOOLDIR and DESTDIR weirdness I found with build.sh is persisting.
i.e. My initial "./build -R /usr/snapshot release" placed those
directories just under "src" but the "./build -u -R /usr/snapshot
release" have set the locations to be just under "src/obj".  As the
updating builds progress, they're only putting a subset of the tools
under the new "src/obj" TOOLDIR.  And parts of the build don't seem to
be happy about this:

  (cd /n0/work/netbsd-current/src/tools && /n0/work/netbsd-current/src/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6.1-vax/bin/nbmake dependall)
  *** WARNING: TOOLDIR has moved?
  *** PREVIOUSTOOLDIR '/n0/work/netbsd-current/src/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6.1-vax'
  ***     !=  TOOLDIR '/n0/work/netbsd-current/src/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6.1-vax'
  *** Cleaning mis-matched tools

"TOOLDIR has moved?"  Yeah, my sentiments exactly.  I'm not too sure
what is going on with the above, but I don't think it's proper behavior.
AFAICT, I've not done anything unusual.

A little later, that particular build crashed due to the groff related
"grn" dumping core.  Previously the "pic" program crashed.  Given that
Emanuel seems to be a bit further along this process than I, and he's
still running into problems, I think the verdict is that you can't
compile -current under NetBSD/vax 1.6.1 (at least as of this past
Friday) without a good deal of blood letting.

Sooo... for the sake of the patient souls who still compile their
NetBSD/vax sources natively, would it be too much to ask for someone who
has dutifully kept up with -current to make a recent snapshot release
available on the FTP site?

Thanks.

-brian.