Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/utils/sysinst
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2003 10:09:19
Thus spake Robert Elz ("KRE> ") sometime Today...

KRE> just "type == MFS" with no relationship to /tmp - it is entirely
KRE> reasonable to have /tmp on a real partition (of its own), and /var/run
KRE> in a MFS...

/var/run in an MFS as it stands now leads to all sorts of nastiness if
you happen to want to type 'reboot' instead of 'shutdown -r'.  You
also need to make sure that all your startup scripts have orderly shutdowns,
because if /var/run disappears from beneath you suddenly, several procs
will hang in vnlock, and the reboot will not happen.

This has, at least, been my experience.  I thought mfs /var/run was neat,
but the hassle wasn't worth it.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: A drinking group with a serious computing problem.