Subject: Re: current on vax, problems
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/2003 21:45:02
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, emanuel stiebler wrote:

> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > *Don't* set TOOLDIR when you haven't got any tools built. That's why you
> > get this error.
>
> I didn't build any tools. And TOOLDIR is set in my environment to
> /usr/tools.

I noticed afterwards that TOOLDIR was set to /usr/tools, which explains
why that was the place.

The tools are built as a part of the build process. If TOOLDIR is set, the
building of the tools tries to use one or two binaries from the
tools. Since they don't exist yet for you, that's why you get that error.

> > TOOLDIR is supposed to point at a place where you already
> > have the tools. Atleast that's what I've figured on from building a few
> > times.
> > I don't know why it assumes that TOOLDIR is /usr/tools, but that's another
> > issue anyway.
>
> So, how do I bootstrap this thing cleanly ?

Don't set TOOLDIR. Run the build.sh process without it set, and that
particular error won't show.

The texinfo problem is because gcc on the VAX have been wrong. Ragge fixed
gcc, but in order to built the texinfo in the tools directory, your gcc
compiler must already be fixed. It's a typical hen and hegg problem. You
can't build the tools until you've built gcc. gcc is normally built with
the tools.

The solution is to go into /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc (or wherever), and run
make dependall && make install with USETOOLS=no, and then run the build.sh
thing.

	Johnny