Subject: Re: sick DLT?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/2003 15:21:27
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:09:48 +0100, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>> Perhaps it is a powersupply or similar issue?  It usually probes and
>> works for a while after being power cycled, but after an hour or so
>> just stops talking on the bus.
>
>Could be something like that, or something overheating.
>The DLT I have use the standart 4-pin power supply connector (the same
>as disk drives, CD, etc ...) so you could probably test it with a PC
>power supply (my DLT library uses, in fact, a PC AT power supply :)

I didn't have one handy - so tried a power supply for an external disk
enclosure - but it couldn't provide enough juice ;-)

I noticed that the switch on the ah1542C for the onboard terminators
was in the off position - controlled by s/w.  That used to be fine but
with a serial console I can no longer check that the setup is correct.
So I turned the swith to On - force termination (there are only
external devices on this bus), and the DLT has been happily chugging
for well over an hour now.

Bus termination shouldn't have been an issue when it was plugged into
the ss20, but if it keeps working I'll let it be.

--sjg