Subject: Re: IDE CD writer switching to 1x the second write
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2003 00:46:47
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:10:31AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Is it something in the driver that is not reset properly after the first
> > write?
>
> The cd driver shouldn't have anything to do with it.
> cdrecord sends ATAPI commands directly to the drive.
> My guess is that the drive tells it that only 1x speed is available.

So it seems.

> Can you see something different in the outputs of
> cdrecord -prcap
> For the first and subsequent tries ?

Yes,

#diff first_write subsequent_burns
58c58
<   Maximum write speed:  5645 kB/s (CD  32x, DVD  4x)
---
>   Maximum write speed:   176 kB/s (CD   1x, DVD  0x)

Funny that it reports DVD 4x write speed since it's just a CDROM.

Even more funny is:

Maximum read  speed: 29551 kB/s (CD 167x, DVD 21x)
Current read  speed:   256 kB/s (CD   1x, DVD  0x)
Maximum write speed:   176 kB/s (CD   1x, DVD  0x)
Current write speed:     0 kB/s (CD   0x, DVD  0x)
Buffer size in KB: 5645

Impressive read speed. Too bad it's not noticed when I am actually using
the drive.. :-)

Best regards,
	Lars Nordlund