Subject: Re: wi driver / signal quality
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/2003 14:39:01
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 04:07:16PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> We are using the NetBSD wi driver on a few NetBSD machines and have also
> "ported" it to our embedded OS.  The driver works (uses quite some CPU
> though) but the signal quality information doesn't seem to work.  On some
> systems (with Lucent wi cards) wiconfig always says:
>
> Comms quality/signal/noise:             [ 0 27 27 ]

What media options have you set? In adhoc mode, wi either provides
the quality/signal/noise for some arbitrary station, or else it punts,
which is generally useless and misleading. (Ditto hostap mode, but you
are not using that with Lucent.)

Does the firmware version on your cards vary a lot? Possibly early
firmware did not provide the quality/signal/noise indication.

I have estimated that wi can take 15%-20% CPU; is that about what you
see? For lower CPU usage, try atw or ath.

Dave