Subject: Re: build.sh efficiency
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/2003 15:31:41
[ On Wednesday, November 5, 2003 at 11:19:36 (-0500), William Allen Simpson wrote: ]
> Subject: build.sh efficiency
>
> Would it be possible to run through the tree once, doing multiple tasks?
> Or maybe only twice?

Yes, but probably only if you're willing to rewrite the build system
from scratch, and perhaps to throw out pmake in doing so.

See, for instance, the following two solutions to this problem:

	http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html
	http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

> Maybe with a faster build process, folks would actually use it to test
> before checkin.  (Just a hope.)

I think ultimately the real solution for this kind of problem in a
project like NetBSD is to use a two-phase commit style of change
management, but that a whole other world from the way things are done
now.  Here are examples of two SCM systems that support two-phase
commits:

	http://aegis.sourceforge.net/
	http://www.qef.com/

--