Subject: Re: GENERIC.MP from Sundays snapshot wedges on dual Pentium Pro
To: Frank van der Linden <>
From: Chris Tribo <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/2003 14:41:56
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:38:17PM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
> >
> > I decided to jump to the latest from 1.6Y and my machine wedges at boot,
> > keyboard unresponsive, no debugger, no three finger salute. Had to power
> > cycle. The last screen full of text is:
> [...]
> Can you recompile it with "options LOCKDEBUG" in your kernel config?
> Also, with a working boot, what comes after esiop0 in the messages?

I built this:

#       $NetBSD: GENERIC.MP,v 1.4 2003/03/05 10:28:00 grant Exp $
#       GENERIC.MP -- Generic, plus enable Multiprocessor support.

include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC"

options         MULTIPROCESSOR
options         COM_MPLOCK      # com MP locking; REQUIRED on MP i386

options         APM_NO_IDLE
options         LOCKDEBUG
#options        MPDEBUG
#options        MPVERBOSE
options         DEBUG
options         MPBIOS          # configure CPUs and APICs using MPBIOS
#options        MPACPI          # configure CPUs and APICs using ACPI
                                # (acpi at mainbus must also be enabled)

ioapic*         at mainbus? apid ?

	and was getting the same behavior, then I tried disabling esiop,
siop and the tl drivers in userconf before booting and it booted through
to asking for a root file system. This is weird. I haven't changed
anything in the bios, and it runs 1.6ZE fine in uniprocessor mode, and
wedges in multiprocessor at either the tl driver or the esiop driver (both
use IRQ 5)

The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.
						-- Arno Schaefer