Subject: Re: Kernel compilation fails
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/2003 09:50:48
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:55:29AM -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Yes, despite the existing instructions to the contrary, it's best to
> compile userland before kernel, although you must install the kernel
> before userland.  I documented that in PR 21923, after questions on
> this list circa last June.

Actually, I think the instructions should be something like (abbreviated):

	* Use build.sh to build new tools

	* Use new tools to build new kernel

	* Back up old kernel

	* Install new kernel

	* Boot new kernel

	* Rebuild the rest of the system

Right now, it's the older compiler that's tripping people up because
the old compiler had bugs that the kernel sources worked around.  The
newer compiler doesn't have the bugs, the kernel sources have been
updated to remove the work-arounds, and the old compiler is exposed.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/