Subject: Re: build breaks w/ read-only sources
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/2003 09:32:25
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:32:20PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> Thus spake David Laight ("DL> ") sometime Today...
>
> DL> > That's fine; our builtin pwd does a physical walk anyway.
> DL>
> DL> But that isn't what it is required to do...
> DL> Both /bin/pwd and the builtin pwd are required (by default) to report
> DL> the name including any symlinks.
>
> I think we're somehow on the same page here but not quite understanding
> each other.
>
> They are required to report the Current Working Directory along the physical
> path; certainly /bin/pwd is, as that's the only way it can divine the
> current working directory.

You need to read:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/utilities/cd.html
Which explains the required algorithm for cd, and the corresponding
one for pwd.
Note the the test done for the existance of the target directory in para. 7
and para. 8b are actually at odds with each other if you have /symlink/../
anywhere in the tested path.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk