Subject: USB CD writer attaching incorrectly
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/2003 10:11:03
Hi all,

We have, for a while, used various Plextor USB CD writers happily under NetBSD. We have a particular model that is not working
properly, and I think it is because it is attaching to the system all wrong. Normally a USB writer attaches to the kernel space as
follows:
    /netbsd: umass0: Plextor Corp. USB Storage Adapter, rev 2.00/3.01, addr 2
    /netbsd: umass0: using SCSI over BBB-P
    /netbsd: scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 luns per target
    /netbsd: cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <PLEXTOR, CD-R   PX-S88T, 1.06> SCSI0 5/cdrom removable

With this particular drive it tries to attach as follows:
    /netbsd: umass0: Plextor Corp. USB Storage Adapter, rev 2.00/11.01, addr 2
    /netbsd: umass0: using SFF8020i over BBB-P
    /netbsd: atapibus0 at umass0 channel 0
    /netbsd: cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <PLEXTOR, CD-R   PX-S2410T, 1.01> type 5 cdrom removable

Three differences:
    the first prints out 'rev 2.00/3.01' while the bottom prints out 'rev 2.00/11.01'
    the first uses SCSI over BBB-P, the second tries SFF8020i over BBB-P (???)
    the first attaches to scsibus0, the second tries atapibus0

And the first works, the second doesn't!

Does anyone have an idea why it would try use some funny interface, when in all other writers' cases (of the same make but different
model) it uses SCSI?

Many thanks
 Bruce Martin