Subject: Re: PCI ADSL Modem cards
To: Mark Nelson <mn@tardis.cx>
From: M.Negovanovic <milosn@bmf.bounceme.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2003 08:12:20
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 06:01:30PM +0000, Mark Nelson wrote:
> I'm about to get an ADSL connection, I'm currently running a NetBSD
> firewall that is connected to my cable modem via a network card.  Can
> anyone recommend a PCI based adsl modem card that is supported by
> NetBSD.  The card I am looking at is based upon a realtek chipset, I
> know realtek network cards work with NetBSD.
>
> Any advice greatfully received

I am not aware of any PCI ADSL modem that works under NetBSD. There were
some binary Linux drivers(kernel modules) for Itex based cards year or
so back but fully unofficial and unsupported.

Could be that newer PCI modems have NIC integrated and in that case they
should work. (basically they are no diff then external modem apart from
being packed up on single PCI card).

Note that in general external modems provide "better" connection. Older
PCI ADSL modems are known not to work when u are few km away from the
local exchange or when phone line quality is not so great.

Regards
Milos