Subject: Re: updating to current --help needed.
To: None <shahpritesh_email@excite.com>
From: theo borm <theo9762@borm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/2003 09:49:03
Pritesh wrote:

> hi there, Thanks for you help. I did not change the
> /usr/src/sys/arch/<ARCH>/conf/GENERIC before, but when i went in and
> looked it already had the option COMPAT_16. Do you have any other
> suggestions, if so please let me know.
>
> Thanks
> Pritesh.

Aha, so GENERIC has finally been changed to include option COMPAT_16 per
default. good.

Then I guess you could do what was mentioned in the other reply to your
original post:

 > 20030402:
 > The superblock layout for FFS was changed. If you have 1.6
 > fsck binaries, they will signal a fatal superblock mismatch
 > with the first alternate, because they compare too many
 > fields (even ones that aren't useful). If possible, upgrade
 > your fsck_ffs binary before using a new kernel.
 > None of this signals actual filesystem damage.
 >
 > I think the easiest way is download snapshot from
 > > http://releng.netbsd.org/ and update system by that.
 > However, I don't know how to "update". Last time, I tried
 > to update, it was similar to overwrite. I lost all local
 > configured files. Probablly I did something wrong, and
 > there is the proper "update" way.
 >
 > -- Kazushi

You could also:
- boot your new kernel.
- if the old fsck_ffs finds an error "repair" it and boot again.
- build and install a new distribution (which will install the
  new fsck_ffs).
- reboot.

After this everything should be in sync and you should not experience
any problems any more.

I don't know if this will affect your local configuration files,
so you may want to put anything valuable in a safe place.

cheers, Theo