Subject: Re: i386 bootselector changes
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2003 17:40:48
Greg A. Woods wrote:

>[ On Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 13:08:21 (-0700), Bill Studenmund wrote: ]
>

>>Subject: Re: i386 bootselector changes
>>
>>For serial console we really want 1-n for partitions and something else
>>(not F1-Fn) for drives. For my desktop, I want F1-Fn for partitions (I
>>don't really care about drives, but 1-n would work there). Some folk may
>>now like the current scheme.
>>

>Since this is about things much closer to the BIOS than anywhere else,
>doesn't it make a heck of a lot of/more sense to use letters to identify
>drives (while continuing to use digits to identify partitions)?

Would it be possible to add the ability to set the active flag on whichever
partition is selected?  The way the FreeBSD 'booteasy' loader does?

So basically if you hit '1' it sets that partition active so that a reboot
will get you back into partition '1' unless you are on the console and
select
something else.

This is a very useful feature if you have a box that you dual-boot and
access
remotely in both operating systems.

-Andrew