Subject: README: unified MAKEDEV
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2003 22:46:28
Hi,

the MAKEDEV script for distribution is now built from MI template,
rather than maintaining a separate MAKEDEV script for each platform.

This fixed numerous issues in various platform's MAKEDEV, including
using bad/unassigned majors, and makes device creation more
consistent between platforms. This will also dramatically ease
maintenance of the device creation script, since any changes
would only need to be done on single place typically, rather
than 51+ files.

The new method was tested for each platform before the switchover,
so I don't expect any problems. If you encounter any (such
as something previously working not working anymore, or distribution
build problems), please let me know ASAP, so that I could fix
the fallout.

Take care,

Jaromir